Sunday 19 June 2011

Kindle

I've got a Kindle from Amazon this week- wow it's brilliant, so good I persuaded John to get one too and we are ordering one each for our oldest two boys who are both finishing a month of exams at school and college.

The best bit is that we can have a choice of books at any time without carrying loads with us and we can all read the same book at the same time. The downside is that it all has to be registered to my account (and hence gets billed to me if anyone downloads a book). I suppose it's not too bad as John and I have always shared a bank account from almost as soon as we started living together, but I wish we could all have separate accounts and share the book downloads in the same way we do if I buy a paper copy of a book.

I'm also shocked that although paper books are not taxed in the UK, ebooks are subject to VAT (value added tax) at 20%- how is that fair?  I don't like being political, but that is unlikely to change under the current Conservative Government, no matter how ridiculously unfair. I really think this is crazy, especially as you could make a case for e books to be more environmentally friendly that making and transporting paper books!!! (I know there are environmental costs of producing e books too but these are lower).

Oh well rant over. I do love my Kindle already- it's really brilliant!!

So until next time
Gillian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...