Saturday 18 June 2011

Freeform and Tunisian Crochet

It's been quite a week for me, so sorry blogging has not happened for a few days. I've had to interview for the jobs I currently do, apparently this is the current trend in the UK when work hours have to be reduced- it's a horrible process causing enormous stress and I can honestly say this has been the most stressful week I've had in this job. Additionally we've had a Fair Trade week at school cumulating in a Fair Trade type sale of products made by the kids on Thursday; plus one friend left work  after 19 years there and another had a baby on Friday- that made it quite a week!!!


This week I did do a little internet shopping and bought a book on Freeform Crochet, basically it seems that anything goes when it comes to making things this way. There is no pattern, you just make small motifs or patches and crochet or sew them together to make a pleasing result. It gives unique results and can be used to make one of a kind items of clothing or bags for example. For me it appeals as I sometimes just want to play around and not worry about making something specific. Sometimes I really do not feel like following patterns!!!


This is my starting point. It's just a simple spiral but I'm going to add to it... More will follow in the coming weeks.


I think it will help me learn new techniques, and as I can also incorporate knitted pieces, I could also practise new stitches. It will also allow me to play with colour and texture as both are important to add interest in freeform crochet.


My first freeform is going to be mostly white, though I may add some light pastel elements. I'm thinking of also embroidering the crochet too. Maybe using funky fibres/threads with texture for interest.


Today we've been out shopping in Truro and I visited my favourite wool shop. As well as some lovely wool I bought some large diameter crochet hooks (my plans for them will be revealed another time) and a Tunisian crochet hook. This is really a hook with a long handle the size of a knitting needle. It's basically worked so one row is worked onto the needle whilst the next works off the stitches off the needle.






I've never done it before so this is my first little swatch. I like the result and think it is going to actually fit in with the Freeform crochet.


I'm going to enjoy the relaxation of not worrying about gauge/tension, it is like playing with wool to make little swatches and patterns. It's also very portable which makes it quite handy to carry a crochet hook and small ball of wool in my handbag for when I have a quiet moment when I'm out...


I'll post more photos as my freeform grows...


Until next time
Gillian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...