Tuesday 28 June 2011

Finishing the Unfinished

Earlier this year I resolved to finish projects as I have a track record of starting lots of projects but not finishing too many. Its a big ask of someone like me who has more ideas than time...

Yesterday I dug out a blanket I started crocheting some time ago- I don't even know when- but fortunately I had some wool left and so I decided it had to be done. The only problem was that I hadn't left a crochet hook with it and I couldn't remember what size hook I'd used. I tried a 6mm but the stitches looked too big compared to the row that was already started. So I unpicked it and used a 5mm hook, this time the stitches seemed the same size so I carried on for three rows to finish the pattern repeat. I then held the blanket up to decide how to finish it. This is when I noticed that the blanket was not so much a rectangle as a trapezium. It was several inches wider at one end than the other...

...clearly I had ended with a smaller hook than I started. Aaaaarhhhh!!!!

So what did I do... well I couldn't face going back and unpicking a large amount. It was more than the three rows I did yesterday. I must have been inconsistent with my hook size more than once during the crochet. So I have left it!!!

I finished with a row of double crochet (UK) around the edge and am now sat under it- it is a thick yarn with a dense stitch and so is quite warm and it is a little cooler  today than the last few days.

I don't think anyone will notice it is not even unless they fold it in half so long as I keep quiet...

Anyway, until next time

Gillian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...